Education Abroad Outreach
Please note that the University has restricted travel for University-related purposes.
See the COVID Considerations page for more information.
Here are some ways that we hope you will engage with us as you consider education abroad. Remember - it's never too early to start planning!
New to UVA, or to education abroad? Check out this video about why you should Go Global, and how! Scroll down for more ways to connect.
Attend an Info Session
Join Education Abroad Advisors for a series of info sessions to learn more about education abroad, including program options, credits, finances, and eligibility. Take a deeper dive into aspects like finances and scholarships, choosing a program, study abroad for engineering students, and global internships, in special topic sessions.
Advance registration is required for virtual sessions; please register with your virginia.edu email address so that we know you're a UVA student.
The University of Virginia is committed to providing universal access to all of our events. Please contact UVA Education Abroad at 434-982-3010 or [email protected] to request disability accommodations. Advance notice is necessary to arrange for some accessibility needs. Please contact us at least seven days prior to the start of this event.
- Click here for more details.
Fall 2021 Events
Events on September 8 are part of this year's "Fall Study Abroad Fair"; see below for details.
Date Time Topic Advisor Registration Link & More Details Tuesday, 8/17 4pm General Info Session Leah Hicks, Liz Wellbeloved Virtual Thursday, 8/26 1pm General Info Session Annia Dowell-Wiltshire, Emily Graber Virtual Wednesday, 9/1 Noon General Info Session Evan Owen, Hayley Spear Virtual Friday, 9/3 11am Global Internships Info Session Ingrid Hakala In-person: Hotel A Wednesday, 9/8 various General Info Session (2) various advisors In-person: Newcomb Commonwealth Room Wednesday, 9/8 various How to Choose a Program Annia Dowell-Wiltshire, Leah Hicks In-person: Newcomb Commonwealth Room Wednesday, 9/8 various Finances & Scholarships Evan Owen, Margaret Walter In-person: Newcomb Commonwealth Room Thursday, 9/23 5:30pm Engineering Programs Liz Wellbeloved Virtual: Register Here Tuesday, 10/5 Noon Sustainable Programs Highlight Hayley Spear Virtual: Register Here
Previous Event Recordings
Topic Advisor Date Recorded General Info Session Leah Hicks & Evan Owen Feb. 2, 2021 Finances & Scholarships Margaret Walter & Evan Owen Sept. 11, 2020 How to Choose a Program Leah Hicks & Annia Dowell-Wiltshire Sept. 1, 2020 Sustainable Programs Hayley Spear Oct. 5, 2020 Travel Planning Hayley Spear & Annia Dowell-Wiltshire Oct. 1, 2020 Global Internships Emily Graber & Ingrid Hakala Sept. 15, 2020 Valencia Engineering Program Liz Wellbeloved Mar. 25, 2021
Watch the Workshop
Can't wait for an info session to learn more? Watch the Education Abroad Workshop today! You'll find answers to questions we know students (and their families) typically have when exploring education abroad.
Talk to an Advisor
Know you want to go to Australia? Have a specific question you'd like to ask? Want to talk to someone one-on-one? We encourage students to meet with an Education Abroad Advisor when considering education abroad.
- Click here to see advisor regions and appointment hours, and make an appointment to chat! Appointments are being held either via Zoom or in-person at Minor Hall; see the note at the top of the appointment page.
- Prefer to just drop in? Education Abroad Advisors are also holding walk-in advising hours at the Total Advising Center on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 1-4pm in Clemons 230.
Check out Programs
In addition to the resources above, we encourage you to virtually browse our Approved Programs List via the Program Search (including UVA, exchange, partner, and outside programs), and the list of existing UVA and Exchange programs. Many of the outside program providers who would normally attend our fairs have put together videos, info sessions, and other ways to get a peek at their programs.
- Click here for Outside Program resources.
The following outside program providers have shared the following with us; please check back as more materials will be added as they are received. Use the Program Search above to find the online brochures and application information for specific programs.
- Arcadia: info sessions about scholarships, picking a program, and more. Click here to register for future events or watch past sessions.
- CET: recorded info sessions and brochures are available by country, below, or register for upcoming live events.
- CIEE: resources are available within their Virtual Study Abroad Fair Landing Page and Study Abroad Advising YouTube Playlist (with application tips, information about scholarships, and more).
- FIE: watch their video about the summer Conflict & the Struggle for Peace: Explorations in Ireland and the Middle East program, which takes place in Ireland, Northern Ireland, and Jordan.
- IES Abroad: Zoom Around the World live info sessions focus on locations and fields of study available for students who study abroad with IES. Also check out their intro video.
- IFSA: watch their intro video and webcasts (webcasts are a mix of on-demand and scheduled videos about funding your experience, STEM students abroad, and more); use the Global Wayfinder tool for more than 50 filters to find a program. Find more ways to engage with IFSA here.
- Middlebury Schools Abroad: pre-recorded info sessions and student videos from locations on UVA's Approved Programs List.
- School for Field Studies (SFS): brief overview of SFS and a look at countries on UVA's Approved Programs List. Click here to learn more about SFS and here to check out their 2020-2021 catalog.
- Semester at Sea: watch their intro and "Day in the Life" videos.
- SIT: meet SIT Admissions Counselors, explore your options for studying abroad with SIT, and more, in the SIT Study Abroad Information Sessions. Participate in a virtual salsa dance lesson or Jordanian cooking class, as part of the Experience SIT series. Register for these and other virtual events.
- Temple Rome: watch "A Walk with Gianni around Rome" and the Temple Rome Intro Video.
- University of Minnesota: learn about the Minnesota Studies in International Development programs and watch these videos about each site:
- USAC: attend virtual events to learn more about their programs.
Still not sure where to start, or need to contact our office directly? While our physical location is not currently open, you'll find phone numbers, emails, our mailing address, and more at this link.