The East Asia Center aims to support students pursing language and cultural study in East Asia. The grant is primarily for study abroad that includes study of the local language. Preference shall be given to applicants who have not recently been to East Asia. Scholarship award amounts vary and depend upon the qualifications of the applicant pool. Students may receive up to the cost of round-trip airfare.
Award recipients are expected to share their experience in the following ways:
- with the UVA community through writing, photography, or video (recipients on study abroad programs).
- through lectures, colloquia, seminars, etc. at events coordinated by the East Asia Center (all recipients).
For more information please visit the East Asia Center's Travel Grant for Students webpage.
Spring Semester Application Deadline: October 15
Summer, Fall Semester, Year Application Deadline: March 1
Successful applicants must:
- Be a currently enrolled UVA undergraduate or graduate student
- Maintain good academic and disciplinary standing with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Participate in either an accredited study program or thesis/dissertation-related research fieldwork in East Asia for a minimum of 2 weeks
- Be approved to participate via the appropriate application or registration record. This record must be in-progress by the scholarship application deadline.
- Students pursuing thesis/dissertation-related research must also submit a letter of recommendation from the thesis/dissertation supervisor to the East Asia Center. The letter should be sent by the faculty member directly to email@example.com. Recommendations are due by the scholarship deadline posted above.
This is a “Common App” application! Click the Apply Now button to get started.