Petitions for an exemption to the suspension for essential travel will be considered from advanced graduate students and GME residents beginning on April 30th; email firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
The University Policy on Student International Travel requires all students who engage in travel abroad for University-related purposes to register with the International Studies Office. Registration takes approximately 20 minutes; you may save and return to your registration as needed by using the UVA Login button. You will need your:
- Itinerary (travel dates and locations, as well as flight/transit details)
- Passport information
- On-site and UVA contact information
Follow the link below and begin your registration by clicking “Apply Now.”
- Individual Student Travel
- Darden Travel
- Darden Travel Registration - use for Exchange, Global Consulting Projects, Client Projects, Other
You will see the requirements on the right side. As you complete each item, a check mark will appear in the corresponding box.
In the Travel Information questionnaire you should enter confirmed ticket information, not just intended plans. You can edit the information should your transportation details change.
To exit your Registration, click “Logout” in the top right corner of the page. To reenter your Registration, click “UVA Login” in the top right corner of the Education Abroad homepage.
Returning to your Registration
Your Registration homepage displays the application(s) you have filed, an overview of your Profile, and shows all communication with the International Studies Office through the Registration system. Follow the link in the Applications section to access the Registration requirements.
The requirements should be completed 30 days prior to departure. The International Studies Office recommends that participants complete the Registration as early as possible.
- GME Trainees: These requirements are part of your International Rotation or Research Application approval and must be completed AFTER the full GMEC approval. We understand that your travel details may change; please enter final arrangements only.
- Medical Students: These requirements are part of your International Elective Credit approval and must be completed at least 30 days prior to your departure. (As itinerary details may change, the Travel Information questionnaire may be completed after this date. Please enter only final arrangements.)
Change of Plans
If your plans change after having begun the Registration and you will no longer participate in the international experience, please contact the International Studies Office at email@example.com to withdraw your Registration accordingly.
The University may limit how, when, and where University students may travel abroad for University-related purposes, taking into consideration issues of terrorism, war, disease, and other risks. The U.S. Department of State and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) periodically post advisories called “Travel Warnings” for countries or regions within countries that they deem to be unsafe for Americans. The University observes all Travel Warnings issued by the U.S. Department of State and the CDC and prohibits student travel for University-related purposes to regions under a Travel Warning unless exempted according to the petition process described in the Policy on Student International Travel.
In the event of incidents or conditions that may threaten the well-being of students, employees, or the University, the University may, after due deliberation, also issue a University Travel Restriction, which limits or prohibits travel to areas not under a U.S. Department of State or CDC Travel Warning. For a current list of University Travel Restrictions and U.S. Dept. of State and CDC Travel Warnings, click here.