You have viewed the Education Abroad Workshop, so you now have the resources and tools to plan for your own experience abroad. You will use the information learned in the workshop to take responsibility for the following components of your education abroad experience:
- View the Education Abroad Workshop.
- Create a Profile by logging in to the Education Abroad website.
- Define your goals for participating in Education Abroad by assessing your academic and personal needs.
- Verify your eligibility to study abroad.
- Explore education abroad in your major or minor by using the Major Advising Sheets. Discuss plans with your Academic Advisor; confirm your university and departmental requirements, and learn how to integrate the credits you will earn abroad
- Research program(s) to fit your needs and goals.
- Build your budget; research financial aid and scholarships EARLY.
- Apply for or renew your passport EARLY!!! Do not wait until you have been accepted into a program. Do you need a visa?
- International students - Do you need a visa? Do your research EARLY with the appropriate embassy. Meet with an International Student Advisor.
- Know your requirements and deadlines (program application(s) and scholarships).
- Discuss plans with an Education Abroad Advisor if required and/or desired. Remember to schedule your appointment online as instructed in the workshop! If you require special accommodations, please disclose early!
- APPLY! Once you find your program, click the “Apply Now” button on the program page.
Start your application EARLY to allow adequate time to complete all requirements before the deadline.
- If applicable, secure approval for transfer credit EARLY. The faculty and administrators that you need to contact might not be available on the deadline day. See your application requirement for details.
- Taking your financial aid abroad? Fill out the Education Abroad Expense Form and submit it to SFS, if required.
- Get accepted!
- Commit to participating in the program!
- Complete post acceptance requirements to allow for registration, billing and use of aid.
- Prepare for cultural adjustments abroad.