Thanks to the generosity of Sally and Bruce Nelson, the Nelson Scholars Program is able to support students pursing language and cultural study in Southeast Asia (comprised of Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam, East Timor, and Brunei). Funds may be used to cover all or part of round-trip airfare between Charlottesville and Southeast Asia. Award amounts vary and depend upon the quality of the application and proposed study or project as well as the cost to participate. Preference shall be given to applicants who have not received a grant within the past year and have not recently been to Southeast Asia.
Award recipients are expected to share their experience in the following ways:
- with the UVA community through writing, photography, or video (recipients on study abroad programs).
- through lectures, colloquia, seminars, etc. at events coordinated by the East Asia Center (all recipients).
For more information please visit the East Asia Center's Nelson Scholars Program webpage.
Spring Semester Application Deadline: October 15
Summer, Fall Semester, Year Application Deadline: February 15
Successful applicants must:
- Be a currently enrolled UVA undergraduate or graduate student
- Maintain good academic and disciplinary standing with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Participate in either an accredited study program or thesis/dissertation-related research fieldwork in Southeast Asia for a minimum of 2 weeks
- Be approved to participate via the appropriate application or registration record listed below. This record must be in-progress by the scholarship application deadline.
- Study: program application
- Research (undergraduate international travel and graduate students receiving a University grant or award): Student Projects Abroad registration (pre-decision requirements must be complete by the scholarship application deadline) - n/a for Spring 2022
- Research (other graduate students): Hoos Abroad registration
- Students pursuing thesis/dissertation-related research must also submit a letter of recommendation from the thesis/dissertation supervisor to the East Asia Center. The letter should be sent by the faculty member directly to [email protected]. Recommendations are due by the scholarship deadline posted above.
This is a “Common App” application! Click the Apply Now button to get started.