A Division of the International Studies Office

January Term Application Deadline


January Term education abroad applications are due by 11:59pm on Saturday, October 1.

  • All requirements must be submitted by that time.
  • There is no final submit button. Your application is complete when all items are checked off as received.
  • Application fees, application fee waivers, and any items in the Uploads, Documents, & Submissions section of your application will be processed on Monday, October 3 as long as they have been submitted by the deadline above.
  • Extensions are not permitted given the high volume of applicants.

Questions may be directed to the program’s Education Abroad Advisor during business hours. The ISO is open 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday.

University Travel Registry

University Travel Registry

The Policy on Student International Travel supports the health, safety, and security of UVA students who engage in University-related activities abroad. It applies to all students and describes requirements and responsibilities that must be met before departure from the US, including enrollment in the UVA international health and emergency assistance insurance plan through CISI.

Students enrolled in an education abroad program satisfy these requirements through their program application. All other students should complete one of the following travel registrations.

If you have questions about policy compliance or the registration, please email hoosabroad@virginia.edu.

  • Hoos Abroad registration is appropriate for all undergraduate and graduate students traveling outside education abroad programs and exchanges, including travel for research, conferences, training, practicums, projects, internships, and athletic competitions. Medical (GME) Residents, Medical Students, and Law Exchange Students engaging in international travel for University-related purposes should also register here.
  • Darden Travel Registration should be used by Darden students only, including Darden Exchanges, Darden Global Consulting Projects, Darden Client Projects, and other individual Darden student travel.

Travel Restrictions

The Policy on Student International Travel also limits how, when, and where University students may travel abroad for University-related purposes, taking into consideration issues of terrorism, war, disease, and other risks. The International Studies Office website provides information on current restrictions. Please read the information carefully to determine whether your destination is restricted, and if you have any questions, contact ISO at hoosabroad@virginia.edu.

Change of Plans

If your plans change after having begun the Registration and you will no longer participate in the international experience, please email hoosabroad@virginia.edu to make sure the registration is withdrawn accordingly.