Engagement & Community
Want to keep your experience alive? Share your story with your peers, and get involved in local community and University efforts that are international in scope.
- Be a resource for prospective study abroad students by signing up on the Returnee Database. Students interested in education abroad can then reach out to you with questions about your program, location, etc.
- Become an Intern for the International Studies Office and share your experience with the UVA student community! Applications are posted and due each summer – keep an eye out for additional emails regarding these opportunities.
- Become an International Buddy! Buddies help incoming exchange students transition to life at the University of Virginia. We are looking for motivated students who like to meet other students from different countries and help as a mentor. If you are interested, please check out the uvabuddyprogram website to learn more about becoming an international buddy for next year.
- Volunteer with the VISAS: Volunteer with International Students and Scholars program.
- Get your TESOL Certification to teach English as a second language.
Visit the Lorna Sundberg International Center to participate in a variety of free social and cultural programs, such as cooking classes, international film screenings, and art and musical performances. If you would like to share your international experience, the International Center would be happy to host a program for you. To learn more about the IC’s programs and to view upcoming events, please visit their website or contact the center at [email protected]. Sign up for the e-newsletter!
- Participate in Language House activities
- Attend UVA Global Week events. UVA will celebrate with a week of internationally-focused activities.
- Attend a Returnee Conference. Meet other recent study abroad returnees from all over Virginia. Hear from dynamic and motivating keynote speakers. Learn how to talk about your developing global skillset in a job interview. Discover how you can work or study abroad after graduation. Network with professionals working in internationally-focused jobs. Stay connected to and share stories about your study abroad experience.
- Check out the Hoos Abroad Blog to stay connected with what other students are doing abroad.
- Connect with the ISO on social media! Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Youtube
- Investigate other ways of getting involved in international activities on-grounds and continue your cultural exploration.
- Go abroad again! Attend the upcoming Study Abroad Fair (held each September and January). Research additional opportunities abroad, such as internships, research, graduate school, and work.
- Stay in touch with your classmates from abroad. Start gathering contact information now!