A Division of the International Studies Office
The Education Abroad team hopes that you are making the most of your time overseas. Take full advantage of your current situation to learn and to explore the country and culture. We look forward to hearing your stories!
Study Abroad Blog
Read the Hoos Abroad blog and submit your blog ideas and stories via email.
Tips for Sustainable Travel
Wondering what you can do to integrate sustainable actions into your study abroad experience? There are countless ways to engage in sustainable actions while abroad. We’ve put together a short list, but you can also find more ideas in the articles linked below as well as by reviewing the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Consider the following actions:
- Purchase a direct flight, or minimize the number of flights you take to reach your host location
- If you plan to take trips during your time abroad, consider purchasing carbon offsets for your travel (some airlines include this option at the time of the flight purchase). Remember that there’s a lot to see in your host city and nearby – plan a staycation!
- Walk or use public transportation instead of using private transportation
- Take reusable cloth bags with you when you go shopping (some locations do not provide bags at stores because of the environmental impact)
- Purchase items that are minimally packaged (i.e. vegetables that are not wrapped in plastic)
- Prioritize purchasing items that are made locally (including food and souvenirs!). Support your host city’s local economy
- Limit the amount of meat you eat each day/week.
- Take shorter showers
- Unplug electronics when not in use, and turn off lights when you’re leaving a room
- Use reusable water bottles and coffee/tea mugs. If you’re studying in a region where you must purchase water, purchase the largest size bottle available and fill your reusable bottle.
- Learn about recycling in your host community and recycle. Some locations may also have compost available!
Click here for additional resources on sustainable travel.
- Sustainable Travel International provides many resources for learning about how to travel more sustainably.
- Sustainable Travel International: "How to Reduce the Carbon Footprint of Your Travels"
- “6 Ways to Be a More Sustainable Traveler” from National Geographic
- “How to reduce your use of plastic on a trip” from Lonely Planet
- William & Mary's Green Travel Guide