You have viewed the Education Abroad Workshop, so you are now able to use the resources and tools below to plan for your own experience abroad. Use this list to keep track of what to do next, and when. Remember that you can always refer back to the information in the workshop.
Download the PDF version of this checklist.
- Verify your eligibility to study abroad.
- Create a Profile by logging in to the Education Abroad website.
- Define your goals for participating in Education Abroad by assessing your academic and personal needs.
- Explore education abroad in your major or minor by using the Major Advising Sheets.
- Discuss plans with your Academic Advisor; confirm your university and departmental requirements, and learn how to integrate the credits you will earn abroad.
- Research program(s) to fit your needs and goals and save them to your Profile.
- Talk to a returned student who studied in the regions or with the programs you're considering.
- Plan your finances: Compare costs, confirm resources and look into additional funding.
- Identify application deadlines for program(s) and scholarships. (They might be different!)
- Meet with an Education Abroad Advisor if required and/or desired. Schedule your appointment online (instructions in the workshop). (Note: you do not have to meet with an advisor before opening an application.)
- Apply for or renew your passport (if your current passport expires less than 6 months after your return). Do you need a visa?
- International students - meet with an International Student Advisor. Do you need a visa for your intended host country?
- Investigate health and emergency insurance requirements. Talk to your doctor about managing any pre-existing conditions (including prescription medications) while abroad. If you require special accommodations, please disclose early!
- Submit the appropriate application(s):
- UVA Education Abroad Application (ALL PROGRAMS; once you find your program, click the “Apply Now” button on the program page)
- Outside Program provider
- Exchange partner
- If applicable, secure approval for transfer credit early. The faculty and administrators that you need to contact might not be available on the deadline day. See your application requirement for details.
- Taking your financial aid abroad? Click here for requirements.
- Get accepted!
- Commit to participating in the program!
- Complete post decision requirements for your program and scholarship application(s).
- Apply for your visa (if applicable).
- Enroll in international health and emergency insurance (if you are not participating in a UVA administered program).
- Ensure payments are made for your program.
- Confirm your enrollment in ZFOR 35XX "International Study".
- Read the Education Abroad Handbook.
- Complete the Pre-departure Orientation in your application.
- Attend CORE seminars. (optional)
- Research cultural differences and on-site resources for your specific location(s) abroad.