The Department of Spanish, Italian and Portuguese invite applications for the Wyatt Family Summer Scholarships for Spanish Majors intended for students in the early stages of the major to study abroad during the summer to improve their language skills. These scholarships seek to encourage students to have a total immersion experience immediately after declaring their major—normally rising second or third years—so they can improve their language skills early on and come back better prepared to complete their upper level courses for the major here on grounds.
Students are encouraged to attend our two established UVA summer Spanish programs in Costa Rica and Valencia, but may go to any approved program. Preference may be given to students who have not been abroad before.
Scholarship award amounts range from $2000 to $3000 and depend upon the qualifications of the applicant pool.
Award recipients are expected to:
- take primarily 3000-level courses while abroad.
- share their experience with the UVA community through writing, photography, or video.
Summer Deadline: March 1
Successful applicants must:
- Be a currently enrolled undergraduate student with a declared major in Spanish
- Maintain good academic and disciplinary standing with a minimum 3.5 GPA in Spanish
- Have demonstrated financial need
- Participate in a credit-bearing education abroad program for a summer
- Be approved to participate (a program application must be in progress by the scholarship application deadline)